//

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

OROVILLE’S FRIENDS OF THE PARKS RESCUE 1922 BUICK TOURING CAR

The Friends of the Parks have diligently been on a

mission to rescue the 1922 Buick Touring Car that has been parked in the carriage house at

Oroville’s historic Lott Home in Sank Park. Two years ago the Oroville City Council authorized

the project. To date the Friends have spent over $4200.00 with funds provided by the

organization and the Oroville Museum Docent group. According to Janice Clay, a long time

Friend of the Parks member, the group had the car taken to Auburn, where father and son

team, Eric & Roger Barrett, spent many hours breathing new life in the antique car. Parts had to

be located or re-tooled and, while it is now drivable. The car still needs cosmetic repairs to both

the interior and the roof. The Barrett’s, who have been restoring cars for over fifty years, we’re

honored to be a part of the 1922 Buick project. Mr. Barrett stated, “The most fun I had on this

project was searching for parts, but being the test driver was awesome”. Plans are to “roll” the

car out for local parades and events with the premier at the annual Veterans Day Parade, which

will be held on November 11, 2014. In the meantime, the car is parked and on display, in the

Carriage House at the C.F. Lott Home 1067 Montgomery Street.

The car, which has an interesting history, belonged, to Cornelia Lott Sank and her husband,

Jess Sank until his death in 1961. The Sank’s enjoyed occasional trips, however, annually went

to the High Lakes country above Paradise to Lott’s Lake where they had a cabin on a ridge

that looked down into the deep blue waters of the lake. Jess drove the car on unpaved roads,

through gullies and over large rocks. After Jess died the car was sold to the Currier Brothers

who had a drive-in market in Oroville. They used the car for shows and their own personal

enjoyment. After they passed, their heirs offered the car to the City of Oroville to use as part of

the C.F. Lott Home museum display. It has been proudly there for over 40 years, but had not

been in running condition for many years.

The Friends of the Parks, a non-profit organization, was established in 1963 with a

mission to assist the City of Oroville in projects and funding outside of the normal city budget

process. Over the years they have contributed an incredible amount of time, money other

and other resources to the City Museums. The Friends of the Parks meet the third Thursday

of each month in the Coach Room at Sank Park and welcome new members. For additional

information please contact the City of Oroville Parks and Trees Department at (530) 538-2415,

or visit the City website at wwwcityoforoville.org.

QR Code - Take this post Mobile!
Use this unique QR (Quick Response) code with your smart device. The code will save the url of this webpage to the device for mobile sharing and storage.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login